Monday, May 30, 2016

Thank you Grady

The White Sox and Royals gamer put me in a similar situation from my first day in the Grady Sports Media program at the University of Georgia (UGA). "We're going to watch the last few minutes of the Georgia-Georgia Tech football game from last year," my sports media professor told the class. "You're going to write a deadline gamer that's due at the end of class. Oh, here's a box score and some quotes." Today, we watched the White Sox and Royals game at the Sports Journalism Institute to practice a deadline gamer. We're going to the Royals game tomorrow instead of watching the game on TV. The pressure is real. The White Sox led 7-1 going into the 9th inning. They ended up losing 8-7 thanks to Brett Eibner's walk-off single. I had most of my story written, assuming there would be no way the Royals could come back and win. I had three minutes after the last pitch to submit my mostly-written story. After I pressed "submit," I laughed and told my sports media professors from UGA what happened. "Nothing you're not used to," my professor replied. Thank you, Grady Sports, for preparing me earlier for the pressure. -- Damian Reynolds

No comments:

Post a Comment