Sunday, May 29, 2016

Royal Flush

I finally went to my first professional baseball game, and I sat in the press box. On Sunday, I covered the Kansas City Royals/Chicago White Sox game with the Sports Journalism Institute. I watched the Royals come from behind for the third straight game. I wanted to cheer in the name of sports. But then I remembered sports journalism commandment number one: No cheering in the press box. I don't watch baseball on television often, but I enjoy attending them. Underneath all my excitement I had to separate fandom and journalism.  While it was my first professional baseball game, I knew I had a job to do. I was constantly keeping track of at-bats and keeping score, which kept me engaged in the game. I don't think I would have been as deeply engaged if i didn't have to work the press box. I wouldn't mind covering more baseball games, especially if they're all as magical as the first one I saw live. -- Damian Reynolds

No comments:

Post a Comment