Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Charting new territory

When I got the news in December that I was accepted into the Sports Journalism Institute, immediately one of the main things I was intrigued by was the possibility of meeting like-minded individuals who could potentially be my colleagues one day. Through four days of SJI training, I have had the privilege of being spending quality time with my peers, learning from them, and hearing their stories. Growing up my whole life in the Bronx, N.Y., and going to predominantly black and Hispanic schools, I haven’t met many people from different parts of the United States. At SJI everyone comes from somewhere different. Today, I interviewed a classmate, Canaan Cadwell, for a biography I had to write on him. Cadwell comes from Houston, and like me, has not had the chance to travel or meet many people outside of his hometown. As a result, Cadwell has grown an interest for traveling, and hopes to turn his time at SJI into a learning experience. Much like me. “I want to go everywhere,” Cadwell said. “That’s the only way you’ll be a better journalist, a better person, to actually know different cultures.” -- Daniel Ynfante

No comments:

Post a Comment