Monday, May 30, 2016

Learning to love deadline pressure


I didn’t think watching a Royals game would be so stressful. The team was down 7-1 in the bottom of the ninth on Saturday and I was nearly done with my summary. But that’s the thing with sports, it’s ever changing and you should come to expect the unexpected — and in this case the unexpected happened much to my dismay, joy, and of course, surprise. The Royals eventually completed the comeback and won the game. It must have been something of fairytale for Brett Eibner, who was brought up to the majors two days earlier and was the hero, but for me it was a reality check. This is what sports journalists have to do on a regular basis. They need to put the pieces together in a timely manner and must be ready in a split-second to change the focus of their story. However, this is also what makes sports so enthralling. It’s dramatic and it gets most everyone involved. These are the types of games a reporter should want to cover, and yes, they are the games I want to cover. --Kim Brenneisen


No comments:

Post a Comment