Monday, May 30, 2016

Lights out



SJI students turned to each other to cope with the power outage at the Stoney Creek Inn in Columbia.



The lights went out as soon as I closed the bathroom door on Sunday night. The first thing I did was look for family members I had met two days before. I hopped off the plane in St. Louis at 8:45 on Friday morning, ready to go through a week-long sports journalism boot camp with 11 college students from across the country. I was scared and apprehensive as I entered a new environment with some talented journalists. Then Sunday, the power went out at our the hotel. With my phone battery at 15 percent, I turned on the flashlight and looked for my Sports Journalism Institute classmates. We all had the same idea, which was to look for each other. As I stood in the dark with my arms crossed, I looked around and thought to myself, "I'll miss this new family of mine when the week is over." -- Damian Reynolds

No comments:

Post a Comment