Monday, May 30, 2016

A Royal Afternoon

As a North Carolina native, I never experienced the rush of watching and covering a professional
baseball team launch two consecutive late game comebacks. My home state valued college basketball
over baseball and obsessed over the ACC tournament in March instead of studying early season baseball statistics. Yet, I discovered a new appreciation for The National Pastime yesterday, as 36,634 fans reacted to Kansas City’s eighth inning home run and ultimate win 5-4 over the Chicago White Sox.
My SJI class and I peered over the press box and watched the Kansas City Royals celebrate their three-game sweep of the Sox as the sun beat down on our backs. With our tight deadline nearing, we
frantically typed out the remainder of our game stories, desperately trying to incorporate all of the lessons we have learned so far in the classroom this week. After submitting a flawed game story the day before, my next Kansas City game story back with a little less criticism and one small word of praise. I clung to that word, “solid,” returned to reviewing the latest news on ESPN to prepare for my next SportsCheck. Three days in, and I was starting to improve. -- Shannon Scovel

No comments:

Post a Comment