Tuesday, May 31, 2016

On Deadline: Part 2/Blackout

The weather was wonderful, and so was the 120-mile drive across Missouri to Kansas City. We headed to Kauffman Stadium to cover another Royals Game. The ending to this game – not as insane as the first one – still had me up in arms; the Royals came back from a two-run deficit to steal the series sweep over the White Sox, 5-4. We had another tight deadline but better results for our game stories, according to Sandy’s feedback. Afterward, we all went out to eat. Kudos to our instructors for taking us to Arthur Bryant’s Barbeque, a hallmark dining experience for tourists in Kansas City. I had burnt ends, which are the nasty, fatty ends of ribs that are prepared to be somehow delectable. The ride back was quiet. Using the time to be productive, I memorized more of the Victorian poem, “Invictus," by William Ernest Henley, that we have to know before the program ends. Our settling in the hotel capped the day off unexpectedly: the south side of Columbia blacked out entirely, shutting off the power in the hotel while I was swimming. I wasn’t worried, but the hotel should realize I could’ve swam in the outdoor pool if I wanted to. -- Chris Yangas

No comments:

Post a Comment