Wednesday, June 1, 2016

The Changing Media Landscape

Digital-first. Millennial audience. Multimedia platforms. I’ve heard the new 2016 media buzzwords before, in fact, I’ve studied these terms and concepts in my journalism classes, but these ideas took a new meaning yesterday afternoon. In a skype session with Sports Illustrated’s Richard Deitsch, I gained a fresh sense of confidence and positivity about the future of sports journalism in the technological world, and I became more certain that this is the field I need to enter. "In the time we live in, we have the most talented group of sports writers that we've ever had,” Richard said during his talk. As a future graduate of SJI, I look forward to applying my newly developed skills to my internship to cover the sports world with accuracy, intelligence and creativity. Richard also said he teaches a class addressing race, gender, sports and media relations at Columbia University with fellow standout journalism Jane McManus, and while I’m excited to start my internship, Richard simultaneously increased my interest in Columbia as a grad school possibility. To learn more from Richard would be a gift, and I would love to sit in his classroom and soak up knowledge from the reporter who has made such a name for himself in one of the nation’s leading sports magazines.-- Shannon Scovel

No comments:

Post a Comment