Thursday, June 2, 2016

Hunting for Clips

Yesterday, my peers and I were fortunate enough to have the great David Squires teach a class on writing and editing. For the most part classes on grammar and editing are really slow moving and boring. But as it seems with every speaker that we have, they say something that sticks out. Squires said we should go to work with the mentality “I’m going to get a clip.” Meaning every story we write should be written with the same importance as the next. The story you write that day should be ready to go on your portfolio when you apply for a job. I have never had that mentality going to work and that’s not to say that I go through the motions when I cover something like basketball or baseball. But I have not been cognizant of the fact that those seemingly smaller stories can get you a job. When I go to my internship and eventually back to my college, I am going to get a clip. -- Javier Cortez

No comments:

Post a Comment